The SDE NAM & LATAM Regional Lead will manage the regional team of Scenario Development and Enhancement across Americas (NAM and LATAM, excluding Mexico).
The successful individual will report to Global SDE Head and will be responsible for leading the SDE team in Tampa (FL) assuring that they have necessary capacity, training, tools and data allowing to execute all analyses on time, following respective procedures and standards and with necessary quality. The person will support the Global SDE Head in defining the strategic direction for the SDE organization especially in the areas of statistical methodology, talent development, analytical tools, infrastructure and global consistency.
The individual will have direct interaction with Internal Audit and Citi regulators during Exams and Supervision meetings where he/she will be required to answer questions related to methodology, execution of projects and operational details with limited control and influence from management. This will require specialized statistical and process knowledge and extensive experience in applying quantitative science in the financial crime prevention area.
Requirements include management experience with both data analysis and statistical tools (with an interest in or experience with financial data). Strong background in statistical techniques (especially discriminant analysis, regression, decision trees) and methodology (sampling approaches), financial modeling of capital markets, and/or regulatory/risk analyses is advantageous. Experience with relational databases (especially Oracle), Big Data (Hadoop), SAS and R software is highly desirable.
The individual will have full management responsibility of a Regional NAM&LATAM SDE team, including management of people, budget and planning, performance evaluation, compensation, hiring, disciplinary actions and terminations and budget approval.
Fluency in English and very good written and verbal communication skills are necessary.
- Lead the regional team of statisticians and data analysts to develop end-to-end AML tools (including scenarios, Case Risk Scoring (CRS), Behavioral tools and segmentations) with effective and suitable methodologies. Ensure that the tools are appropriate for the intended purpose and are mathematically and statistically correct and backed up by thorough and clear documentation.
- Manage team, including hiring, training, coaching, talent development and performance appraisals.
- Manage deliverables, timelines, expectations and timely escalation of issues and proposed solutions. Deliver regulatory committed and Business as Usual Book of Work, to a high standard in a timely manner.
- Represent the SDE team in regional interactions and collaborate with key partners (including AML tool sponsor) to facilitate the development process, to manage scope, priority, and timelines, and to resolve discussions and feedback in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with other Regional SDE Team Leads and support Global Head of SDE and AML Leadership in their interactions with Internal Audit and Regulators. Defend the methodology used in SDE projects during these meetings which will require highly developed communication skills to explain very complex ideas in plain language that is easy to understand by non-experts.
- Generate new ideas, concepts and models to improve methods of obtaining and evaluating quantitative and qualitative data. Identify relationships and trends in data, as well as any factors that could affect the results of research. Question and validate assumptions. Drive quality, reliability and usability of all work products.
- Evaluate the statistical methods and procedures used to obtain data to ensure validity, applicability, efficiency, and accuracy. Maintain an industry leading knowledge of the tools, systems and processes available for best in class AML Detection and Monitoring Operations.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in large, complex environments.
- 6+ years of experience managing in a matrix environment. Proven ability to build exceptional teams, work well with a variety of people and be flexible in taking on different roles/responsibilities as projects change.
- Sound knowledge of statistical modeling concepts and industry best practices, experience with econometric and statistical modeling or application risk scoring.
- Knowledge of AML Industry with emphasis on best practices in relation to automated monitoring systems design and tuning. Ability to drive innovation via thought leadership and move the industry forward by leveraging the understanding of regulations and development of modern Machine Learning applications.
- Effective cross-functional project, resource, and stakeholder management; effectively engage with internal audit and external regulators.
- Excellent communication: demonstrated ability to effectively communicate (both written and verbally) through all levels of the organization including the ability to translate technological concepts into easily understood presentations and provide management and senior management with clear and accurate understanding of opportunities, options, risks and impacts in all aspects of decision making regarding AML systems.
- Proven ability to drive results and manage to changing priorities including the capability to plan for the unpredictable, evaluate risks and articulate control plans.
- Mature and self-motivated with the ability to make decisions independently, in the absence of detailed instructions and to set priorities as needed.
- Experience with analytical or data manipulation tools (e.g. SAS, SQL, R), proficiency with MS Office suite. Experience working in Big data environments a plus.
- Initiative, creativity and attention to detail are essential. Conceptual and creative thinking (outside the box).
- Bachelor’s/University degree or equivalent experience, preferred Masters degree or PhD in a quantitative field (applied statistics, mathematics, physics, econometrics, etc.)